Skip to main content

yesterday i voted for a black man

on october 15, 2008 i voted. everyone knows i voted for barack obama (even though i told my mom that i wrote her name in...) i stood in line for almost an hour, which i didn't mind because the last time i voted for president i stood in line for two hours BEFORE i got into the building and the sucker i voted for lost to an idiot, but anyway... there was something different about voting this year.

i vote in a precint full of old black people. since i've been here, i've seen the same old black people every time i've gone to vote. i know why they vote. in this same precint when they were my age they were harrassed when they went to vote. when i voted in the primaries this woman was talking about how she has voted in every election since she was old enough because "ain't nobody gon stop her from doing her rights." i saw that same woman a few people ahead of me in line and she was prepared. this year she had her little cane that turns into a seat and hergrandson. she was very proud. "just turned 18 in september," and "his mama's at work, but she gon be here." do you see what's going on? black in america didn't come to this neighborhood and show you these black people. some of us refuse to be disenfranchised and victimized. some of our boys go with their grandmothers to the polls and vote as a family.

obvioudly there is something different about this election. most of those black people feel that there is something more at stake than who's going to be the next president. they're sending a message, setting a precedent, taking part in history. i've already made it known how i feel about my place in history, but it was truly amazing to be there with those people, who have already made history so many times without realizing it, voting for a man who has already made history whether he wins or not.

standing in that line playing solitaire on my phone, i pondered that. he'll be the first black president of the united states of america. and i voted for him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...