Skip to main content

On Supporting "Black" Movies

So… My dad has a problem with me not supporting "black" movies. More specifically… He wants me to support Tyler Perry movies. I can't get with Tyler because I'm tired of seeing black men in drag. He's promoting this image of a black woman devoid of any femininity. We're just the same as a man except we wear dresses? Get out of here. Also… His favorite storyline is problematic. All of his movies include a woman who needs to be saved. Usually she's saved by a man from chaos of her own creation. That's hella wack.


Daddy claims the "black" movies I won't go see, I'd go see if they were made by white people. About that… A lot of these "black" movies I'm supposed to support WERE made by white people. Your favorite black movie probably wasn't directed by black people. Or… If it was, it wasn't funded by black people. Tyler Perry does that well. I can't knock his hustle. Aside from that… He's wrong. I don’t like stupid movies. I wouldn't want to see Soul Plane even if white people did it. I don't hate Soul Plane because of the black people. I hate it because it's dumb. He likes to bring up The Hangover. But come on… That flick was FUNNY. I like GOOD movies. I like funny movies. I like mob movies. I like action movies. I really don't care who's making them.


Having said that… I'm really tired of the same movies. We know about corrupt cops in New York. Brooklyn's Finest was super dumb. I'm extra tired of the "white people save black folks" narrative so I'll never see The Blind Side. I don't like war movies so I won't see The Hurt Locker and that one is this year's best picture. I'm equal opportunity. I'll watch just about anything BUT I'm not going to watch something I have no interest in. I certainly won't watch it JUST because black people are in it.


It's not smart to blindly support anything. We should support quality so that we receive quality. I'd much rather see a movie that has characters that happen to be black than a movie that's about black people. Tell me a story. Don't sell me an aesthetic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...