Skip to main content

Fathers and Daughters

Alright… I don’t [think] I have daddy issues. I knew my daddy and even though he had shitty moments, I knew him. He was "there." I have a stepfather who has been around since I was 4. He married my mom when I was 9. He's good and supportive and all that. I've never been "fatherless." My daddy wasn't absent. Life probably would have been a little different if I didn't have a father.

All this comes to mind because a lesbian couple at my job have a daughter: one of them was pregnant and gave birth 2 months ago. I have yet to ask about the baby's father so I don't know if he was a donor or if she was with him and left him for her girlfriend. That part is irrelevant, though. Fodder for gossip mills… Mostly, I wonder if there will be a father figure for their daughter, and if it was a consideration.

Everyone says a woman can't teach a boy how to be a man. But a woman - by herself - can't teach a girl how to be a woman, either. I'm a mama's girl. I love my mom. She taught me a lot. But how would I know healthy ways to interact with men if she had never shown me? How would I know anything about marriage if I had never seen hers? Without both of my fathers, how would I know what's acceptable and what's not?

I'm not saying these 2 women can't be great parents. They're great people. I don't think their homosexuality will "rub off" on their daughter either. (That's ridiculous.) Really I just think the importance of a father is underestimated. I'm pretty sure their kid will encounter men in the world. Her head won't explode when she does or anything, but still…

I'm fine with homosexual couples having, adopting, raising children. I went to middle school with a girl who was raised by a lesbian couple. She was cool. I just wonder where she is now and how she reflects on her childhood. I wonder if she knew her father, if she ever missed him, if she's planning a family and thinks about the impact of a father in her children's lives. What do you think?

Oh… And as I write this I'm watching "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" and heard Iron Chef Cat Cora talk about discovering a dish while she and her partner were pregnant at the same. They're raising four boys. Do you think that makes a difference?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...