Skip to main content

Is it REALLY that Serious?

As a hostess at a restaurant, I see lots of men going to ridiculous lengths to please women… I ask [what I think are] simple questions and dudes go crazy:


"Would you mind sitting on the patio?"

"Oh, uh, um… Well… I don't know. It might be too cold for her…"


"Do you want to sit at the bar?"

"Wow… The bar? It's up to you, honey."


"The wait is 20 minutes."

"Whooooa! 20 minutes?? I need to ask her first."


The looks of panic I have seen in response to my [basic] questions would have you thinking I made an indecent proposal… Seriously dude? Is it REALLY that serious? Just make a decision!


This awkwardness alarmed me, so I consulted my favorite expert on masculinity, my biological dad. He blamed the weirdness on "crazy feminists" who demanded to be allowed to make their own decisions. He says women want to have it both ways: they want to be in charge, but they don't want to be held accountable. He claims a man has to bend over so far backwards that he doesn't know which way is up so he feels like he has to make a big deal out of the smallest thing -- to make HER happy, of course.


All of that is BULL. (sorry dad…) Women may be indecisive… But we want results, too. Making a big deal over nothing doesn't make us happy. I don't care how many arguments we've had at home over what may be perceived to be small issues… Don't act like you don't have the balls to commit to a table in a restaurant. Making decision makes us happy. Or at least… It makes me happy.


Other folks with whom I've discussed it think it has more to do with men wanting to be polite and chivalrous. Eh… I'm not one of those women who sits around saying chivalry is dead. I think everyone should be polite to everyone. Not just a man to a woman… And a dude who goes out of his way to make me happy is good, but don't sweat the small stuff. I'm not irrational.


Politeness is one thing. Opening doors for others, saying please and thank you, etc… all great things… But you don't have to be all timid and spineless to make me happy. I can't stand spineless men. If we're meeting at a restaurant, and you get there first, get a table. No need for the freak out. Right? Or... Is this just me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...