Skip to main content

Gentrification and The Plan of Nashville

My dictionary.com app (#teamiphone #folife) defines "gentrification" as "the buying and renovation of houses and stores in deteriorated urban neighborhoods by upper- or middle-income families or individuals, thus improving property values but often displacing low-income families and small businesses." I mostly see this when white folks want to "improve" something. Like the situation with Belmont and Rose Park. OH! And when white people want to be edgy and/or gritty and move to East Nashville… I don't really see it happening in other ghettos, though… Nolensville Rd. is still very Mexican...


Architecture and civil engineering are interests of mine (In 3rd grade I drafted an entire city without direction or adult input…) so while I was in line waiting for my Mocha JavaKula at Borders The Plan of Nashville caught my eye. It's a great book and an awesome plan. However… does such a plan cross that line into gentrification? One of the 10 principles that guided The Plan (and I love their principles) is "Strengthen the unique identity of neighborhoods." But how does one know the "unique identity" of a given neighborhood unless s/he is from that neighborhood?


It seems that if the city spends the money to implement these plans, inevitably, low-income families won't be able to afford it anymore. Now… Affordable housing is apart of The Plan but what about the new parks and marinas they have planned? Property values around those neighborhoods will skyrocket. The poor and minority families that live there now will probably have to move. Is it big bad gentrification if the city is improved?


I'm not knocking the Nashville Civic Design Center. As I understand it, The Plan was a community project with input from many people from many people from many backgrounds… I'm just saying… some of the problem with gentrification is that white people -- especially some uber liberal white folks -- get it into their heads that they know what the black community wants. They think they understand the structure of the black community.


So many times during the Belmont/Rose Park debate, I heard classmates saying, "But that community isn't using the park. It's just… sitting there. Plus we'll make it better, state of the art. Why don't/can't/won't they appreciate that?" No one saying that came from Edgehill, so how could they say that Rose Park wasn't exactly the way that community wanted or needed it to be?


I don't know… For the record, I love The Plan of Nashville. There is this part about how interstates severed historic neighborhoods that I found really interesting, but maybe I'm a nerd… Go to the site to read more. Buy the book. Watch the little film. Tell me if and where you think this falls into that murky gentrification pool...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...