Skip to main content

on having children

so... chuck likes to urge people to have babies so she can go to baby gap and gymboree and buy cute little things for cute little people. my bio-dad keeps telling me he's ready to be a grandfather. both of them are always met with ire of the strongest kind: "STOP FUCKING ASKING ABOUT BABIES! HAVE YOUR OWN! I DON'T CARE ABOUT you BEING READY! LEAVE ME ALONE!" it's a sensitive subject for me.
to the contrary, i definitely do. ideally i will be married. we will be stable. and he will want kids, too. our kids will be semi-planned, meaning that, while i might not run around having crazy sex when i know i'm ovulating, the funds and space for my kids will be there when they are. i will not struggle. finding out i am pregnant will not be devastating, "i-have-a-big-decision-to-make" news. i will be ready.
right now, none of that is true. i'm 23. i can take care of myself juuust short of comfortably. i'm not married no matter how much i'd like to be. my relationship is not stable. and though he does want kids, finding out i'm pregnant right now would be devastating to both of us if i decide to keep it. i cannot in good conscience bring a person into the world right now. not into my current situation; it's not right.
i have a problem with so many people my age not taking these things into consideration. a lot of my anger and frustration towards them end up going to chuck and bio-dad perhaps unnecessarily (they're so persistent and annoying though...). i've felt this way since i started high school and bumped into my first ever pregnant classmate. my feelings got stronger over 4 years of having the daycare in my high school and being in classes where mothers would use their kids to get out of or disrupt my class. after high school when former classmates started having a baby a year, i got even more frustrated.
when the number of baby showers invitations i received began to out number the wedding invitations, i decided that i wasn't attending anymore baby showers unless there was a wedding first.
i don't know how many girls i graduated with have children now. what i do know is that 2 from my personal circle have children. all my female cousins around my age have kidS (more than one). none of them are married. i don't think any of them have any plans to get married, either. i don't like that this is what my generation has become. i don't like that it's people so close to me. i don't like that it reflects on me. when my best friend got pregnant 2 years ago, everyone swore i would be next.
perhaps i'm being unfairly judgmental. maybe i'm being too harsh. i'm sorry if you're in this situation and this offends you. i'm not trying to push my beliefs on you. and i'm not really saying that if this is you, you're immoral, wrong, or whatever. i just think this whooole situation says a whooole lot more about where we are and where we're going as a people. and i can't get with that. i feel like we owe it to our kids to stop vicious cycles and this
is one in our community.
it all rubs me the wrong way. so... PLEEEEASE don't roll up on me asking about kids. and will you please pass this message on to my damn daddy and crazy chuck? =]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...