Skip to main content

Why I Unfollowed You

A couple weeks ago, I unfollowed someone I said I wouldn't unfollow. I enjoy Twitter because of the possibility of open discourse. The ability to disagree without the consequence of losing a friend or offending a church member. Because of this freedom and openness, I always said that disagreeing with someone isn't reason enough to unfollow him/her. I had been following someone with whom I usually disagree and it got to be too much and I realized that the disagreement wasn't the reason he had to get off my timeline. Of course, everything here doesn't apply to him, and some of these points apply to people I need to stop following. Either way, here are some resons I have to unfollow...

I don't like negativity, so I don't follow people who are always starting internet feuds. Worse than that is one who uses his/her "celebrity" to incite drama or negativity. A while ago, there was a discussion about not liking India Arie. When one person disagreed, the "celebrity" told all of her followers to go confront the dissenter. You can't claim to uplift on one hand and then direct people to tear someone else apart on the other.

I can't deal with someone whose timeline is all retweets. If you're always retweeting someone else's stuff, why don't I just go follow them and cut out the middle man? Further, I realize that daily affirmations from The Single Woman help a lot of people, but I can't deal with a timeline full of them. If all your tweets are retweets of relationship advice and self-help junk, I have to let you go.

If all of your tweets are about sex or religion, I can't follow you. Moreover if all of your Monday-Saturday tweets are about sex and then on Sunday it's all about religion, I can't follow you. I'm not modest about sexuality or spirituality, but I get bored if you're too absorbed with either one. And... I don't like fake people. There's something that doesn't ring true about you and I don't want to read it all the time.

There are some people whose tweets elicit an automatic eyeroll. For my sanity and the sake of my poor eyes, I have to unfollow you. It could be that you fall into one of these other categories and, for whatever reason, I feel like I can't unfollow you. But just know... You're on thin ice.

I hate to waste my time, so if you tweet me a question and I bother to respond, I expect you to follow up, either with the reason you asked the quesion/made the statement, or some other indicator that the conversation is over. I haaate when people don't respond. Eventually, I'll get really annoyed and have to unfollow you.

Now... I'm not so self-absorbed as to think that you care if I don't follow you on Twitter. This post originally started because someone sent me a text message asking why I unfollowed him. Then I realized that I follow someone I shouldn't be following. Then I unfollowed a person I said I wouldn't unfollow. So... I've been trying to get this out of my system for a minute. Since the air is clear I feel refreshed and free to go axe some people. =]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...