I've been in Nashville for a while now. It doesn't even come close to my hometown, but I am here for a purpose and I have learned to make it my own. Since I decided to stay in Nashville, I am going to make it as awesome as I am; therefore, I have fun everywhere I go. I'm super tired of hearing (or seeing, as the case may be) people complain about how wack Nashville is. So… This Terrible Tuesday I give you 5 stupid points Nashville Naysayers make:
1. There's Nothing to do Here
This isn't a travel blog, so I'm not about to list all the fun stuff there is to do in Nashville. A lot of the stuff I do isn't "every-person" friendly so I'm not about to list all the fun stuff I do in Nashville. What I can say is that I've never had an issue with anything closing too early (except the liquor store). Once it's gets started, I've never had to stop my fun too early. There is a lot to do in Nashville whenever you want to if you're open minded. If you are a fun person, you will have fun.
2. Male:Female Ratio Sucks
Let's start small… I don't care about a ratio regardless of which side is heavy. I spend a lot of time with dudes. When I go out it's usually like... four dudes and two girls. I am by no means "butch" or "tomboyish." Being out with dudes in a dude heavy environment isn’t too bad. On the other side, I'm not starving for male attention so being somewhere with a bunch of women doesn't bother me either. I will have a ball. I have fun anywhere, with anybody.
3. You're screwed if You're Over 30
First… I'm 24. I don't expect to have the same kind of fun I have now when I'm 34. I'll have a family, so I'll be having family fun. I'll still have kick it fun, but on another level because, of course, 20 and 30 aren't the same anywhere. That aside… I have been around a 30+ group. Those people have no trouble finding anything to do. Furthermore, nine times out of ten, they have age appropriate fun and I'm the odd one out. The "college town" vibe of Nashville is obviously very strong (there are over ten colleges here and nearby), but I've played in the "adult playland."
4. Nashville isn't Othertown, USA
Nashville is not Atlanta. Nashville is not New York. Nashville is not San Francisco. Or Philly. Or Chicago. Or Houston. (I could do this all day…) This doesn't mean Nashville isn't a real city. It means Nashville isn't that city. It's a different city. Nashville will never compare to Oakland. You know what? Chicago will never compare to Oakland. Atlanta is cool, but it has nothing on the Bay Area. Does that mean those are wack cities? No. Every city is different. Your favorite city will always be your favorite. It's illogical to compare cities based on emotion. Just put on your fun glasses and look at the city you're in. If you look at Nashville and don't see anything, it's you.
5. Whenever an Event is Successful it goes Away
You naysayers are peculiar people. You claim to want something, and when you get it, you hate it. The promoters don't make any money so they stop. Then you start remembering how fun an event was and complain that it's gone but YOU DID THAT. Your lack of support, your nose in the air, sends a message that doesn't translate to money for promoters. Why (and HOW) would they continue? AND, I have news for you… When this "restructuring" is done, when currently absent events return, when the behind-the-scenes work is done, you aren't going to like that either. You'll be at an awesome event tweeting about how bored you are (right before you hop up and dance to "your song," of course…)
The list isn't exhaustive. Please don't start in on me like I've never been to a "big city," or I'm a small-town girl who goes at a slow speed. No. I'm from the Bay Area. I know what it's like when a city doesn't sleep. I kicked it there around the clock and so it's only fitting that I kick it here around the clock, too.
You could say that I'm young and the college crowd fits me, but I don't really go out with them. I'm not into club fights and shootings. Club pics with city back drops and drink cups aren't my thing. It takes more than TGIFridays to do it for me. I am by no means easy. But I rock. Anywhere.
Lastly, I am not a complainer. There are things I don't like about Nashville. I am not here by choice. But I am here. I will not waste my time complaining that it's not Oakland. I can't make it Oakland. But I can make it awesome. Because I am awesome. My team is awesome. Please do not pollute my air with Nashville naysaying. Consider this post Inconvenient Truth.
1. There's Nothing to do Here
This isn't a travel blog, so I'm not about to list all the fun stuff there is to do in Nashville. A lot of the stuff I do isn't "every-person" friendly so I'm not about to list all the fun stuff I do in Nashville. What I can say is that I've never had an issue with anything closing too early (except the liquor store). Once it's gets started, I've never had to stop my fun too early. There is a lot to do in Nashville whenever you want to if you're open minded. If you are a fun person, you will have fun.
2. Male:Female Ratio Sucks
Let's start small… I don't care about a ratio regardless of which side is heavy. I spend a lot of time with dudes. When I go out it's usually like... four dudes and two girls. I am by no means "butch" or "tomboyish." Being out with dudes in a dude heavy environment isn’t too bad. On the other side, I'm not starving for male attention so being somewhere with a bunch of women doesn't bother me either. I will have a ball. I have fun anywhere, with anybody.
3. You're screwed if You're Over 30
First… I'm 24. I don't expect to have the same kind of fun I have now when I'm 34. I'll have a family, so I'll be having family fun. I'll still have kick it fun, but on another level because, of course, 20 and 30 aren't the same anywhere. That aside… I have been around a 30+ group. Those people have no trouble finding anything to do. Furthermore, nine times out of ten, they have age appropriate fun and I'm the odd one out. The "college town" vibe of Nashville is obviously very strong (there are over ten colleges here and nearby), but I've played in the "adult playland."
4. Nashville isn't Othertown, USA
Nashville is not Atlanta. Nashville is not New York. Nashville is not San Francisco. Or Philly. Or Chicago. Or Houston. (I could do this all day…) This doesn't mean Nashville isn't a real city. It means Nashville isn't that city. It's a different city. Nashville will never compare to Oakland. You know what? Chicago will never compare to Oakland. Atlanta is cool, but it has nothing on the Bay Area. Does that mean those are wack cities? No. Every city is different. Your favorite city will always be your favorite. It's illogical to compare cities based on emotion. Just put on your fun glasses and look at the city you're in. If you look at Nashville and don't see anything, it's you.
5. Whenever an Event is Successful it goes Away
You naysayers are peculiar people. You claim to want something, and when you get it, you hate it. The promoters don't make any money so they stop. Then you start remembering how fun an event was and complain that it's gone but YOU DID THAT. Your lack of support, your nose in the air, sends a message that doesn't translate to money for promoters. Why (and HOW) would they continue? AND, I have news for you… When this "restructuring" is done, when currently absent events return, when the behind-the-scenes work is done, you aren't going to like that either. You'll be at an awesome event tweeting about how bored you are (right before you hop up and dance to "your song," of course…)
The list isn't exhaustive. Please don't start in on me like I've never been to a "big city," or I'm a small-town girl who goes at a slow speed. No. I'm from the Bay Area. I know what it's like when a city doesn't sleep. I kicked it there around the clock and so it's only fitting that I kick it here around the clock, too.
You could say that I'm young and the college crowd fits me, but I don't really go out with them. I'm not into club fights and shootings. Club pics with city back drops and drink cups aren't my thing. It takes more than TGIFridays to do it for me. I am by no means easy. But I rock. Anywhere.
Lastly, I am not a complainer. There are things I don't like about Nashville. I am not here by choice. But I am here. I will not waste my time complaining that it's not Oakland. I can't make it Oakland. But I can make it awesome. Because I am awesome. My team is awesome. Please do not pollute my air with Nashville naysaying. Consider this post Inconvenient Truth.
Comments
Post a Comment