Last week, my Modern Grammar professor proclaimed -- to prove a point about censorship -- that he doesn't believe words hold a lot of weight. And so… he uses the word "fuck" freely. However… my Modern Grammar professor is a white man at an HBCU… He qualified his statement about words having no weight by saying that there are some words he won't use because of their impact on others and possibly himself. He said he's sure there are also words we won't use.
My guess is that his list includes derogatory words surrounding race and sexual orientation. But what's on my list? Anything? Is there anything I'd never say? Not really.
To some extent, I understand what he means. Words are just words. Saying "fuck" is the same as saying "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious;" it has only the meaning we give it. However, words definitely carry some weight. If my mother were to say with some force, "Pick up these clothes!" I would probably say, "Ok," then go back to whatever I was doing. However… If mom says, "Pick up these fuckin clothes!" I'm probably not saying anything because I'm picking up clothes. The expletive conveys a greater degree of seriousness whether it's there or not.
I recognize the impact of words on people, but theoretically speaking there is nothing I won't say. Instead, there are some things I won't say to certain people. Though my professor says that it's ok to say "fuck" in class, I probably never will. Not because I think he'd be offended, but because I was raised not to use "bad" words in front of adults. Decorum dictates that it's not cool to say to my mom, "I cain't stand bitches all in my muthafuckin shit!" That doesn't mean I wouldn't say it.
As far as words that might offend other people, I'll say those too. "Nigga" doesn't offend me. I use it all the time. I may say that something is "retarded" but it's unusual for me to call someone "a retard." I prefer "fuckin idiot." Homosexuality isn't negative to me so I don't use "fag" or "faggot" as an insult. Instead, I'd probably call a weak man a "bitch." But all this is a result of how I was raised. My parents used these words in these ways. It's what I know.
SO. Are there words you won't use? Why?
Comments
Post a Comment