Skip to main content

All in a Name

I was lurking around Facebook the other day… This guy I went to high school with popped up in the "suggestions" area on the home page. I noticed that his name is hyphenated and it threw me for a loop. Further investigation led me to see that he's listed as "engaged" to a girl whose last name matches the name he added to his own. As the frown appeared on my face, the thought of a man taking MY name in marriage disgusted me. The Nicole inside my head couldn't call him a punk fast enough.


But why? What's wrong with a man taking his intended wife's name in marriage? Plenty.


Names are significant. What you call someone expresses endearment, ire, esteem, contempt etc… Because of this, I am not a fan of nicknames or the diminutive form of most names. (i.e. Nikki for Nicole. Billy for William. Etc…) I like the identity that my whooole name encompasses.


When a woman gets married, she takes the last name of her husband. I'm not certain about where this custom originated, but I'm ok with it and I plan to change my name. I also understand why an established woman would hyphenate her last name. But a man? No. He should not take a woman's name. It dishonors his father. And… it would piss off my dad if I had a fiance who thought he was going to take my name. It's emasculating for a man to take a woman's name. It basically says that he isn't about anything. He's not the head of his household. He might as well paint his nails and birth the babies.


Challenging this dude's masculinity exposes a double standard. I know… However, just like some stereotypes are rooted in truth, some double standards are just…. Ok. There are definitely some things that a woman can/should not do. Like… play football, propose marriage, and… take out the trash. Call me old fashioned. Whatever. I never said I was to be a feminist.


I'm totally taking my husbands name. He cannot have mine. But… I'm anxious to know how you all feel.

Comments

  1. I feel where you're coming from.

    But what if:

    His family has done dishonorable things that he wishes to distant himself from?

    Her family name ends with her and he's got other males to carry on his family name?

    What then?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...