Skip to main content

Intellectual Snob

My advisor wrote a veeery nice letter of recommendation that will surely aid in gaining me admission to a truly great summer program. In the letter, she mentioned that my biggest weakness is that I "turn off" in situations that aren't academically stimulating and I that I don't engage with classmates that I don't feel are on my level. Ok. So… I'm an intellectual snob. I'll be that. =]


Alright, alright… Maybe I shouldn't "turn off" in boring classes. I tend to drop classes that are boring and if I have to stay, my attendance and participation suffer. I feel like I need to be working on something if I'm in school. I'm in school to get these credit hours and grades toward a degree, yes. But I would also like to be intellectually stimulated. (especially if I'm paying for it…). I love knowledge. I like learning. I don't like busy work. Classes like Chemistry and Statistics don't help me get any closer to achieving my career goals. They bore me. So… I check out.


As far as engaging with classmates who aren't on my level… I don't really like ignorant people. When someone is unaware but they seek enlightenment, I can deal with it. So… it's not about them not knowing whatever… It's about folks who don't know but like to talk like they do know. And they talk just to hear their voices. Or they pass off other people's ideas as their own because they have no idea what they're talking about to begin with. They make me angry. You sit here and disrupt MY learning with your bs-ing, trying to "show" the professor that you're "smart?" Ugh… annoying.


It happens often at Tennessee State. At Belmont it was mostly about white people who were too afraid to "offend" me to care about their stupidity. I don't really remember it too much at SFSU, but I'm sure it happened there, too. I just… try to stay away from people who are likely to piss me off -- for their sake… And… I try to avoid people who aren't trying to lift me up (since… no one but me can truly bring me down or "set me back" x number of years.)


I'm sure my AWESOME advisor meant no harm in her critique. She is correct. And there are times when all of this does hinder progress. In 12th grade I was put in a group with a girl I couldn't stand. Instead of staying on top of her and making sure the work actually got done, I delegated and didn't talk to her again until it was time for us to present. We got Cs. And the "checking out" definitely hurts… As charismatic as I am, sometimes there is no excuse for my absence…


But… Whatever... Hi. My name is Nicole, and I am an Intellectual Snob. *Hi, Nicole…* =]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...