I love music. (In case you didn't know…) This year has been... ok for music for the most part. I have this playlist called "ShitIUsuallyWantToHear" and it is just what it says… Following are the 5 albums that are always on that playlist:
New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh) Erykah Badu (March)
When this album came out, I remember realizing that Erykah Badu (whose first album came out when I was a 5th grader) has been the voice of my romantic reason and growth my entire adult life. This album is the first one that was appropriate as soon as it was released (as opposed to me buying it because it sounds good and pulling it out 10 years later after a break up). She is a master at the mini epic. "20 Feet Tall" is simple yet profound. "Agitation" is beautifully calming. "Fall in Love" is my anthem. I'm convinced that "Out my Mind, Just in Time" was written with me in mind.
The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III) Janelle Monae (May)
I've loved Janelle since she was the weird robot girl with the funny hair and riding clothes. And I guess she still is to some people, but she's one of the few true artists putting out music right now. I had been waiting for these suites since the first one came out. Her sound may be a little odd for some people and a lot of the messages in her songs are hidden by this larger story that people also miss. BUT… I was having a shitty day the day I got this album and the album made it 10 times better. Instantly. I can't list songs from this album, because they don't really stand alone. The album is awesome.
How I Got Over The Roots (June)
There isn't a Roots album that I don't like. Honestly. I even love Phrenology. For real. I can't even really explain why this album is always in rotation. Instrumentally it makes me happy. "Tunnel Vision" is probably the happiest :41 I can spend. I love the title track. I listened to it most of the very long way to Chicago and I feel like the album and I bonded.
Culdesac Childish Gambino (July)
Did you know Troy from Community is a rapper? Me neither. But now that I do… Whoa. As a producer he's awesome. Dude rapped over Adele. Adele. And not just any Adele song, but "Melt My Heart to Stone," the most heartfelt, emotional song I wish I wrote on Earth. "I Be on That," "You Know Me," and "Fuck it All" are my favorites on the album. I was salty nobody told me about him sooner, but I'm SUPER glad I know now.
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Kanye West (November)
I love Kanye West. This particular album was in rotation way before it was released. Not on no bootlegging hype… But because he released "Power" around Memorial Day and then started GOOD Fridays toward the end of the summer. With the release of the mini movie Runaway, the songs that were previously unheard were… well… heard. The lack of surprise and mystique did not stop me from bumping the hell out of this album when I got it. Kanye never disappoints me. "Power" was an anthem until "Monster" came out. "Hell of a Life" is my favorite song on the album. And "All of the Lights" with all of its features makes me really happy.
There are a lot of honorable mentions here. Drake's "Over" is the unofficial summer theme song and "Unforgettable" is awesome because of Jeezy and his "his and her firearms." Jay-Z's first line in "Light Up" makes me smile every time. Then there's Cee-lo's "Bodies" off The Lady Killer. It’s a very sexy song… Who can forget "Fuck You?" I'm not a big Rick Ross fan, but I love "Maybach Music 3," "Live Fast, Die Young," and "All the Money in the World." Believer magazine puts out a CD for its music issue, and this year it was awesome. "Self!" by Deep Cotton, "Have You Ever Made Love to a Weirdo" by Hollyweerd, the "Cold War" remix, and "One" but Joi's band are great songs. Of Montreal's album, False Priest, is really good, but I wasn't bumping it until we saw them live and it had to grow on me. I encourage you to get ALL of the music I've mentioned.
New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh) Erykah Badu (March)
When this album came out, I remember realizing that Erykah Badu (whose first album came out when I was a 5th grader) has been the voice of my romantic reason and growth my entire adult life. This album is the first one that was appropriate as soon as it was released (as opposed to me buying it because it sounds good and pulling it out 10 years later after a break up). She is a master at the mini epic. "20 Feet Tall" is simple yet profound. "Agitation" is beautifully calming. "Fall in Love" is my anthem. I'm convinced that "Out my Mind, Just in Time" was written with me in mind.
The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III) Janelle Monae (May)
I've loved Janelle since she was the weird robot girl with the funny hair and riding clothes. And I guess she still is to some people, but she's one of the few true artists putting out music right now. I had been waiting for these suites since the first one came out. Her sound may be a little odd for some people and a lot of the messages in her songs are hidden by this larger story that people also miss. BUT… I was having a shitty day the day I got this album and the album made it 10 times better. Instantly. I can't list songs from this album, because they don't really stand alone. The album is awesome.
How I Got Over The Roots (June)
There isn't a Roots album that I don't like. Honestly. I even love Phrenology. For real. I can't even really explain why this album is always in rotation. Instrumentally it makes me happy. "Tunnel Vision" is probably the happiest :41 I can spend. I love the title track. I listened to it most of the very long way to Chicago and I feel like the album and I bonded.
Culdesac Childish Gambino (July)
Did you know Troy from Community is a rapper? Me neither. But now that I do… Whoa. As a producer he's awesome. Dude rapped over Adele. Adele. And not just any Adele song, but "Melt My Heart to Stone," the most heartfelt, emotional song I wish I wrote on Earth. "I Be on That," "You Know Me," and "Fuck it All" are my favorites on the album. I was salty nobody told me about him sooner, but I'm SUPER glad I know now.
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Kanye West (November)
I love Kanye West. This particular album was in rotation way before it was released. Not on no bootlegging hype… But because he released "Power" around Memorial Day and then started GOOD Fridays toward the end of the summer. With the release of the mini movie Runaway, the songs that were previously unheard were… well… heard. The lack of surprise and mystique did not stop me from bumping the hell out of this album when I got it. Kanye never disappoints me. "Power" was an anthem until "Monster" came out. "Hell of a Life" is my favorite song on the album. And "All of the Lights" with all of its features makes me really happy.
There are a lot of honorable mentions here. Drake's "Over" is the unofficial summer theme song and "Unforgettable" is awesome because of Jeezy and his "his and her firearms." Jay-Z's first line in "Light Up" makes me smile every time. Then there's Cee-lo's "Bodies" off The Lady Killer. It’s a very sexy song… Who can forget "Fuck You?" I'm not a big Rick Ross fan, but I love "Maybach Music 3," "Live Fast, Die Young," and "All the Money in the World." Believer magazine puts out a CD for its music issue, and this year it was awesome. "Self!" by Deep Cotton, "Have You Ever Made Love to a Weirdo" by Hollyweerd, the "Cold War" remix, and "One" but Joi's band are great songs. Of Montreal's album, False Priest, is really good, but I wasn't bumping it until we saw them live and it had to grow on me. I encourage you to get ALL of the music I've mentioned.
Comments
Post a Comment