Skip to main content

An Open Letter to the Belmont University Administration

(from C. Michelle Wilkerson)

I’m writing to you regarding the recent forced resignation of Ms. Lisa Howe. Until today, I had always been proud of my association with Belmont. I was the recipient of the William Randolf Hearst Scholarship, I was an active member of the student community, and two years ago I graduated with a degree in Entrepreneurship. I cannot believe that the same institution that helped to mold me into the professional I am today is responsible for such a blatant act of bigotry and hate. I am disgusted, at the very least.

As an active alum, I would like to know who is responsible for deciding that Ms. Howe was in some way violating university policy. Who made her feel so uncomfortable that she was forced to resign? I want the persons responsible to step up and be recognized for the bullying bigots that they are. You should be ashamed for what you have done. How do you rest at night knowing that you are the reason that this expectant mother is now without a job?

Apparently, it’s not just the faculty that are being bullied into keeping their mouths shut about their sexuality. The Bridge Builders at Belmont University have tried unsuccessfully to be recognized as an official group as a part of Belmont’s student life. I guess Belmont is not interested in “meeting the needs of those students.”

Dr. Fisher, I hope you recognize that there are many members of your student body that are gay, bisexual, and transgender. What message are you sending to them? Are they no longer welcome on your campus? What about prospective students? You might as well print one of those oversized banners that you love so much and announce your most recent accomplishment: ostracizing the gay community and those that support them. Congratulations.

Until the administration proves itself to be true advocates for the rights and well being of ALL students and faculty, I will not donate any funds to my once esteemed alma mater. I encourage both my fellow alums and members of the community to reserve their funds as well. Someone has to hold Belmont accountable.

Signed,
C. Michelle Wilkerson
Belmont University Graduate 2008
Resource Development - Conexion Americas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...