Skip to main content

Talking About Race in Mixed Company

Today I came across an article from the Washington Post, "Fewer see Obama advancing racial ties." Basically the article gives the results of a poll that was taken by phone from January 12 to January 15. The poll shows that only 41% of respondents say that Obama's presidency has helped race relations compared to the 58% of people who thought it would when he was inaugurated last year. "The decline was the sharpest among African Americans," the article declares. Fifty-one percent say he's helping even though 75% thought he would. Here's the best part: The respondents were 1083 random adults and 153 of them were black.

Let's hold off on criticizing this ridiculous poll for a sec… Personally, I don't think Obama has done anything to help race relations. His presence in the White House makes people think "the struggle" is over. It makes white people feel like black people have nothing to complain about. It makes ignorant black people think they have more of a license to be ignorant. In terms of de facto race relations on an individual basis, Obama's presidency may have set us back (the monumental achievement of being the first black President and thereby achieving a piece of the dream of so many Civil Rights movers and shakers aside…).

That said, I never expected his presidency to do anything for race relations in this country. It's not his job. It wasn't one of his campaign promises. It's not why I voted for him. Do people realize that? Do people understand what the POTUS is supposed to do? Do they realize that there's nothing he can do without Congress? And Congress sure as hell isn't worried about race relations.

People forget that black people are only about 13% of the American population which means white folks elected him. Did they vote for him so they could say, "See! I'm not racist! I voted for the negro!" Did they vote for him because they wanted to end racism? If so, why start now? Why expect Obama to take that on? Why not demand the same thing from your white elected officials? Why didn't MSNBC have a special a year after Bush's inauguration asking if his presidency was helping race relations?

"Improvement" or "progress" in race relations is a slow road. No amount of legislation is going to make people like each other or ignore their prejudices and biases. Race relations can't be helped until everybody can speak honestly and intelligently about race in MIXED COMPANY. Until a racist white person looks at me, sees a beautiful black woman, and says, "I can't stand niggers, but that is a beautiful black woman," progress in race relations won't be made. And Obama can't make that happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...