Skip to main content

Do Your Kids go to School in a Competitive School District?

Because if they don’t… They'll miss out on government funding that could improve their school. I read an article on MSNBC.com about Obama asking for $1.35 billion to extend an education grant program for states. Of the $787 billion economic stimulus, $4.3 billion went to competitive education grants for states. Obama says the extra money would allow more states to win grants. According to the POTUS, "Offering our children an outstanding education is one of our most fundamental […] obligations as a country."

This all sounds good but it left me wondering why states have to compete for money for their schools. Why wouldn't the government just give it to them? Especially is educating our kids is "one of our most fundamental obligations." So… reading on I find that Obama feels that a grant system is a competitive way to encourage states and school districts to do better, rather than a "formula-driven" system in which states get money regardless of success in teaching. This system would use student test scores to judge teacher performance.

I see a couple problems with this. I went to an inner city high school and I know that school districts may not compete for such a grant because they don't think they can win it or because they don't care about the students in the district. I have heard people who work at the department of education here say that students from my school wouldn't know what to do with new books and computers. As far as test scores used to judge teacher performance… One year, as a school, we had to pass some statewide exam so that the school could get "off notice" for poor performance. So the teachers went into a frenzy for the few months leading up to the test, teaching us how to pass the exam. Once the test came and went, the learning stopped. Once they found out we passed, we had a pep rally and that was that. Our success on that test had NOTHING to do with the teachers teaching a curriculum well and it in no way reflected a general trend of good teaching.

I'm all about making schools and school districts prove that they're educating students. However, I think some schools need money more than others. Their success might not be immediately evident. For instance… I didn't do too well on the SAT because the SAT prep wasn't available to me because the numbers weren't there to justify the funding for the class. More than one case like mine makes my school's SAT statistics decline, but it’s not necessarily an accurate picture of what we could do if we had the money.

I'm happy Obama is asking for money for education. I'm just not sure I like that schools have to compete for the money. What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...