I know 2011 was a decent year but as I sat down to make this list, I couldn't think of anything. Like... At all. I drew a blank. I had to call upon my agent, Michelle, and I think we have good little list here. These were some of the better things that happened this year. I don't think I can rank them like last year. Everything here gives me warm and fuzzies.
1. College Connection
So... a little backstory... I was a little irritated with my brothers this summer. DZ had failed a class and wasn't being realistic about his future. In a huff, I decided I would take him and "let the white people tell him" about life. I remembered that Bob Obrohta, who ran Imagine College at Pearl Cohn when I was there, had embarked on something called called Nashville College Connection a few years ago. Bob told me lots of great things when I was in high school whether I listened or not, so I figured he'd be perfect to tell DZ, too. What I got from dragging my brothers to the Oasis Center in the middle of June was way more than I ever expected. Nashville College Connection is now Oasis College Connection and they needed mentors to go into high schools and do what I had done with my brother on a larger scale. I started in July and it really is the perfect job for me. I work with a great team. I interact with really great kids. I love talking to people. I love thinking that someone may do college differently because I kinda sucked at it first. From July on, I made great memories for 2011.
2. Fourth of July
I don't know what it is about Independence Day. Last year was hella crazy. This year was an absolute mess. But at least we remember this year. Which is odd considering how much I drank... Both mine and Michelle's families were in Atlanta for the holiday. I didn't go because I wasn't sure if I got the College Connection job and I needed to be in town. Michelle didn't go because Lovenoise did 3 parties that weekend. So... We were in Chill Lite mode. Then Michelle had this crazy idea that we would go to Atl immediately after the Saturday party, chill with our families in the morning and then be back in Nashville for the Sunday party. I was down.
Saturday I decided to go celebrate another friend's birthday at Mai while I waited for my agent to be done at La Paz. I told everyone that I had no plans to drink, because we were leaving for Atl at 3am. Then people started handing me shots and then Mai's blue shit and then more shots.
Next thing I know, I'm in a really good place. On the road to Atl, I tried to take pics of fog. In the dark. I talked nonstop. I was very amusing. I slept most of the morning. And then on the way back to Nashville my sinuses started to hate me and I didn't even make it to the Sunday party. Every plan fell through, but I had a lot of fun.
3. Childish Gambino
I am a Childish Gambino fan. A big one. So when we found out he would be here, there was no question that we would be front row. Michelle wasn't even in town the day the tickets went on sale, but through some powerful agentry at work she bought probably one of the first tickets. We missed Community to be there, but it was so worth it. Front row. Knew all the words. Michelle touched him. It was one of my favorite events, second or third after Janelle and ?uestlove.
4. Recognize
This semester Tuesday nights at Mai became the most anticipated part of my week. It's a stress releaser, a hella good time. There are $1 drinks. 40s. Great music. A cool crowd. Some time in October, Bria joined us and it was absolutely magical. I can't even say much more than that. You just had to have been there. I won't forget it.
5. Epic Nap
This fall, a bunch of us attended the Get Motivated Seminar at Bridgestone as "professional development." Honestly, I only went because I thought I'd get to hear Bill Cosby talk bad about black people in front of white people while wearing sun glasses indoors. I mean... That might've been the highlight of my year. Instead, we heard Rudy Giuliani talk about 9/11 and grasping the internet. Basically it was just a bunch millionaires fooling broke people into thinking they could one day be millionaires too. We didn't make it to Bill Cosby, and so... the epic nap that followed our time at Bridgestone is the actual highlight of the day. The night before we went to the Wale concert. We woke up late, irritated. It took 30 minutes to park and 15 minutes to walk. The seminar was a mess. We left at lunch intending to return, but it was sooo pretty outside. So we ended up at Centennial Park with magazines and books thinking we'd soak up some sun and bounce work ideas off of each other. It started out on track and then hours later I woke up. Didn't even realize I had fallen asleep. And the only reason I woke up was because the sun was shining on me, we were no longer in the shade. It was crazy. But awesome and so desperately needed.
1. College Connection
So... a little backstory... I was a little irritated with my brothers this summer. DZ had failed a class and wasn't being realistic about his future. In a huff, I decided I would take him and "let the white people tell him" about life. I remembered that Bob Obrohta, who ran Imagine College at Pearl Cohn when I was there, had embarked on something called called Nashville College Connection a few years ago. Bob told me lots of great things when I was in high school whether I listened or not, so I figured he'd be perfect to tell DZ, too. What I got from dragging my brothers to the Oasis Center in the middle of June was way more than I ever expected. Nashville College Connection is now Oasis College Connection and they needed mentors to go into high schools and do what I had done with my brother on a larger scale. I started in July and it really is the perfect job for me. I work with a great team. I interact with really great kids. I love talking to people. I love thinking that someone may do college differently because I kinda sucked at it first. From July on, I made great memories for 2011.
2. Fourth of July
I don't know what it is about Independence Day. Last year was hella crazy. This year was an absolute mess. But at least we remember this year. Which is odd considering how much I drank... Both mine and Michelle's families were in Atlanta for the holiday. I didn't go because I wasn't sure if I got the College Connection job and I needed to be in town. Michelle didn't go because Lovenoise did 3 parties that weekend. So... We were in Chill Lite mode. Then Michelle had this crazy idea that we would go to Atl immediately after the Saturday party, chill with our families in the morning and then be back in Nashville for the Sunday party. I was down.
Saturday I decided to go celebrate another friend's birthday at Mai while I waited for my agent to be done at La Paz. I told everyone that I had no plans to drink, because we were leaving for Atl at 3am. Then people started handing me shots and then Mai's blue shit and then more shots.
Next thing I know, I'm in a really good place. On the road to Atl, I tried to take pics of fog. In the dark. I talked nonstop. I was very amusing. I slept most of the morning. And then on the way back to Nashville my sinuses started to hate me and I didn't even make it to the Sunday party. Every plan fell through, but I had a lot of fun.
I am a Childish Gambino fan. A big one. So when we found out he would be here, there was no question that we would be front row. Michelle wasn't even in town the day the tickets went on sale, but through some powerful agentry at work she bought probably one of the first tickets. We missed Community to be there, but it was so worth it. Front row. Knew all the words. Michelle touched him. It was one of my favorite events, second or third after Janelle and ?uestlove.
4. Recognize
This semester Tuesday nights at Mai became the most anticipated part of my week. It's a stress releaser, a hella good time. There are $1 drinks. 40s. Great music. A cool crowd. Some time in October, Bria joined us and it was absolutely magical. I can't even say much more than that. You just had to have been there. I won't forget it.
5. Epic Nap
This fall, a bunch of us attended the Get Motivated Seminar at Bridgestone as "professional development." Honestly, I only went because I thought I'd get to hear Bill Cosby talk bad about black people in front of white people while wearing sun glasses indoors. I mean... That might've been the highlight of my year. Instead, we heard Rudy Giuliani talk about 9/11 and grasping the internet. Basically it was just a bunch millionaires fooling broke people into thinking they could one day be millionaires too. We didn't make it to Bill Cosby, and so... the epic nap that followed our time at Bridgestone is the actual highlight of the day. The night before we went to the Wale concert. We woke up late, irritated. It took 30 minutes to park and 15 minutes to walk. The seminar was a mess. We left at lunch intending to return, but it was sooo pretty outside. So we ended up at Centennial Park with magazines and books thinking we'd soak up some sun and bounce work ideas off of each other. It started out on track and then hours later I woke up. Didn't even realize I had fallen asleep. And the only reason I woke up was because the sun was shining on me, we were no longer in the shade. It was crazy. But awesome and so desperately needed.

Comments
Post a Comment