Skip to main content

Passing

A while ago, I saw a tweet about someone getting married to a dude who is "passing" for heterosexual. Of course, having just read Nella Larsen's "Quicksand," my mind is in a very interesting place. With people comparing the struggle for equal rights for gays to the Civil Rights Movement, it made me wonder… Is "passing" for heterosexual the same as passing for white?


The benefits of being white in the 1950s were numerous… White people were able to go where ever they wanted to go and enjoy the best accommodations. They didn't get beat for nothing, they didn't have to fear Jim Crow, and they had access to superior health care. Though there were miscegenation laws, they were able to marry freely. Being white guaranteed social acceptance.


Now… It's easy to say that no one has to deal with any of that now, but being straight in 2011 does afford a level of privilege. Homosexuals fight for basic rights that heterosexuals take for granted, such as the ability to marry freely and have legal and health benefits in that partnership. They want social acceptance and don't want to have to deal with hate crimes.


It's pretty easy to see why a black person who is able to would pass for white in the 1950s. Of course… There had to have been an emotional toll and endless criticism from black people who couldn't pass. From my privileged place in history, I have to say the pros associated with such a lifestyle outweigh the cons.


However, I can see much more damaging effects of "passing" for heterosexual. There's the similar emotional toll and criticism from homosexual, and gays also "pass" for social benefit, but there is a level of denial here that's missing from racial passing. Homosexuals who "pass" may not be ready to admit to themselves that they are homosexual. In that case, they aren't really "passing." On the other hand, "down low" homosexuals (that is, those who indulge their homosexual desires while deceiving a heterosexual partner…) bring problems that light skinned black people in the 50s couldn't. Passing for white may have produced "mysteriously" darker skinned progeny, but people weren't dying from a disease acquired from "down low" black people cheating on whites with black people.


Of course, I'm no expert… And I hate comparing struggles. Every struggle is valid to the people living it. However, it looks like in this case, the only people who come out on top are white people. Though some of them like to believe their race is being swallowed by some ominous "minority monster," they still dictate norms and make laws. I mean… even someone successfully "passing" for straight may still face racial discrimination.


I feel like all this is absurd, but it made me think... I'm anxious to know your opinion, though. Can you compare passing for white to passing for straight?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...