Skip to main content

Thanksgiving and Other Musings

I'm HAPPY THANKSGIVING(!!) is over. Don't get me wrong… I like the food and the fam… but I like them both in small doses… I can do with out the heavy food that I'm gonna be eating for weeks until Christmas. I can do without the embarrassing and redundant questions about school and my personal like. I'll pass on screaming kids throwing ice and ignoring their mothers. But all in all it was a nice holiday… Aunt Vivian's strawberry cake is still the best…

Last night after the festivities, I was perusing Fandango… looking for something to see right now (at 11ish) and I was amazed at my options. Though there are other movies playing right now, the only ones with showings close to midnight are animated movies or movies aimed at a young audience. Opry Mills mall opened for business at midnight for Black Friday, so I expected all of the movies to have midnight showings. However, Ninja Assassins, Old Dogs, The Blind Side, Planet 51, the new Twilight movie, and Fantastic Mr. Fox were my options. Moreover… Disney's A Christmas Carol was only showing in 3D and IMAX at midnight. Having worked in movie theaters for 4 years of my life, I know what determines the frequency of showings. So… at midnight on Thanksgiving, we want to see an action movie with lots of violence, a movie about old baby daddys, a racist white-women-save-the-world/feel-good movie, an animated flick about social tolerance, teen vampire sex, and George Clooney in whatever capacity. What does that say about our current culture?

Speaking of culture… Did you catch that Opry Mills opened at midnight? Talk about door busters… Aunt Lola and them got up early to be at Belk in Cool Springs by 4am so they could have a chance at a $1,000 gift card. That's craziness! Why on Earth anybody would wanna be up at that time SHOPPING is beyond me. You know how I'm spending my Black Friday? Watching Law & Order in some sweats. Reading. Eating leftovers. Drinking coffee with ice cream (my new favorite). LOUNGING. That's what we should all be doing! Well… maybe just me and those of us who don't like people. =]

Anywho… I'll try to post some stories today. November is coming to a close SO they won't be NaNoWriMo short stories anymore, but I will continue to give you more short stories as they pop into my head. I've learned that this endeavor would have been better during the summer when I have nothing going on. I also learned from this exercise, that I can't force my creativity. I don't know if I could ever be a published author. I just don't like creative writing on a schedule. Well… I can do it for school… So maybe I could do it for work. Maybe. I'm not sure I wanna be Nicole Williams, Starving Artist. Sigh… new Law & Order soon… Gotta go get a refill. See you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...