A conversation I recently had with a dude planning to gain entry into an NPHC fraternity (paraphrased):
He: I’m going to this informational, and I’m so excited.
Me: Awesome. Are you sure you’re ready for all that pressure and stuff?
He: Yeah. I don’t respond to pressure. Can’t break the unbreakable.
Me: Oh really? So… what will make you an asset to this organization?
He: Well… I’m educated. I’m ambitious. I’m going places. I look good. I’m cocky. I’m a high quality male. Very marketable.
Me: Oh, you’re all that?
He: Hell yeah. You don’t think so?
Me: Uh… If you’re all those things already, what do you need the organization for?
He: Hmmm… That’s a good question. I need to ponder that for a moment…
Aaaaaand scene!
I am a member of the Greatest Sorority on Earth (that’s not a debatable point, either. You may be a member of something else, and that’s cool, but my brood is better.) Growing up in California, I didn’t know anything about black Greek-letter organizations. I knew there were fraternities and sororities, but I didn’t think twice about them. When I moved to the South in high school, I was still pretty oblivious to the NPHC side until I saw them in action, my organization in particular. That’s when I knew that I would wear those letters. I would do those things. With those women. Women like me. Great like I would be.
I’ve always known that I’m a force to be reckoned with. I am destined for greatness. No matter how twisted the path, I know where it ends. I was great before I joined my organization. Before my org, I lacked a catalyst. I didn’t have a direction. I didn’t fully realize my strengths. In joining I gained all that and more. I learned the true meaning of standing on someone’s shoulders. I learned a lot about dedication to purpose. Sisterhood. Legacy. This list isn’t exhaustive, but you get the picture. I was feeling myself before, but I was ready to be molded. And I was.
The problem I have with the dude in the above convo is that he’s feeling himself a lot. He thinks that in the process of gaining membership, he’ll learn a little info about the org and “work on toning his confidence.” He doesn’t see this as shedding part of himself to take on a role that is actually bigger than him. He sees himself as whole. He sees the org’s reputation and how that will make him look, but he doesn’t seem to realize how he’ll make the org look.
Now that I’m on the other side and I’ve had a chance to sit at that interview table, I know that this dude wouldn’t be someone I’d want on my team. I’m trying to find a word to describe him. The only ones that come to mind are “punk,” “pussy,” stuff along those lines. (I try to reserve those for dudes who piss me off…) =] But he has that quality –if it can be called a quality. I’m not sure if it’s my appreciation for my organization that makes me hate his cocky “I’ve already won/ain’t nothing you can teach me” attitude, or my knowledge of him outside this situation. What I can say is that if you want to join ANY organization, not just mine or any other NPHC org, come into with an open mind and heart. If not, you’re nothing more than a pin wearer and I don’t like them…
He: I’m going to this informational, and I’m so excited.
Me: Awesome. Are you sure you’re ready for all that pressure and stuff?
He: Yeah. I don’t respond to pressure. Can’t break the unbreakable.
Me: Oh really? So… what will make you an asset to this organization?
He: Well… I’m educated. I’m ambitious. I’m going places. I look good. I’m cocky. I’m a high quality male. Very marketable.
Me: Oh, you’re all that?
He: Hell yeah. You don’t think so?
Me: Uh… If you’re all those things already, what do you need the organization for?
He: Hmmm… That’s a good question. I need to ponder that for a moment…
Aaaaaand scene!
I am a member of the Greatest Sorority on Earth (that’s not a debatable point, either. You may be a member of something else, and that’s cool, but my brood is better.) Growing up in California, I didn’t know anything about black Greek-letter organizations. I knew there were fraternities and sororities, but I didn’t think twice about them. When I moved to the South in high school, I was still pretty oblivious to the NPHC side until I saw them in action, my organization in particular. That’s when I knew that I would wear those letters. I would do those things. With those women. Women like me. Great like I would be.
I’ve always known that I’m a force to be reckoned with. I am destined for greatness. No matter how twisted the path, I know where it ends. I was great before I joined my organization. Before my org, I lacked a catalyst. I didn’t have a direction. I didn’t fully realize my strengths. In joining I gained all that and more. I learned the true meaning of standing on someone’s shoulders. I learned a lot about dedication to purpose. Sisterhood. Legacy. This list isn’t exhaustive, but you get the picture. I was feeling myself before, but I was ready to be molded. And I was.
The problem I have with the dude in the above convo is that he’s feeling himself a lot. He thinks that in the process of gaining membership, he’ll learn a little info about the org and “work on toning his confidence.” He doesn’t see this as shedding part of himself to take on a role that is actually bigger than him. He sees himself as whole. He sees the org’s reputation and how that will make him look, but he doesn’t seem to realize how he’ll make the org look.
Now that I’m on the other side and I’ve had a chance to sit at that interview table, I know that this dude wouldn’t be someone I’d want on my team. I’m trying to find a word to describe him. The only ones that come to mind are “punk,” “pussy,” stuff along those lines. (I try to reserve those for dudes who piss me off…) =] But he has that quality –if it can be called a quality. I’m not sure if it’s my appreciation for my organization that makes me hate his cocky “I’ve already won/ain’t nothing you can teach me” attitude, or my knowledge of him outside this situation. What I can say is that if you want to join ANY organization, not just mine or any other NPHC org, come into with an open mind and heart. If not, you’re nothing more than a pin wearer and I don’t like them…
Comments
Post a Comment