Skip to main content

Bio-dads, Homo-hatred, and Child Rearing

I talked to my biological father (bio-dad) for about an hour yesterday. I called to find out if Boots the Bottom Hoe was a character in Iceberg Slim's Pimp or Donald Goines' Whoreson (we think she was in Whoreson) and we ended up talking about a bunch of other shit... Mostly we talked about issues that come from him being this huge conservative... Turns out his transformation from a young hood nigga to an old white man is complete. Somehow we got on the topic of gays in the military. Sigh...
A little backstory... My dad hasn't always been a homo hater. He hasn't always had this disdain for any- and everything involving homosexuality. When In & Out came out, he loved it. He quoted from it. He laughed when I teased him about being gay. Somewhere along the way someone hit a switch in his head and a little jerk inside started saying "haaaate the gaaaays, lamooonte..." We end up talking about homosexuals a lot because he lives in the Bay Area and it pops up a lot for him. He's against gay marriage because he "doesn't want his son learning about gay sex in school." Gay sex is "gross." He doesn't think they should be allowed to have the Pride Parade. He won't watch Milk. I'm sure he hasn't seen Brokeback Mountain.
I'm not really a liberal. The Bay Area is kind of overly sensitive about offending homosexual people but not necessarily worried about homosexuals offending anyone else... During my college days there, I met a few gay people who felt like they could do whatever they wanted because they were gay and in their land. There is an attitude that you can't state any opinion that is against anyone in the LBGT community. During Pride some boundaries are pushed and there are no repercutions. Blah blah blah and so on... Even with what can appear to be a double standard, even living right in it, I can't justify hating homosexuals. I don't understand homophobia.
So there I was... Listening to bio-dad talk about gays in the military and how he wouldn't be able to trust that a gay soldier fighting next to him wasn't looking at his ass or wouldn't fall in love with a terrorist during an interogation. And how even if the dude was his best friend, once he found out he was gay, he'd just be a filthy faggot (or maybe he said flaming... or nasty? idk, but it was an offensive adjective) and could no longer be his friend. How gay men are looking at any man whether they're gay or straight. I tried to reason with him (which is how we got on the what if he was your best friend thing...) but then I gave up and we moved on. Once I got off the phone, my first thought was he's going to be my child's grandfather.
I don't think his influence on my children will be so great that they will grow up thinking it's ok to talk and think this way about other people. I will raise compassionate children who will be respectful to everyone. It won't really matter what anyone tells them. My kids will think for themselves. But what about now? I don't have any kids. But I don't want to hear my dad talk this shit. He's not like any other conservative I can just ignore and turn off. So... I guess I'll just avoid talking about current events with him... *shrug*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...