Skip to main content

It's Not You; It's Me

I arrived too early. I sat nervously stirring the ice in my water thinking maybe I could create a wave and let it swallow me.

"We need to talk," were the words. The days had been lonely and long enough to create an impressively large gap between us. "I love you," had been the bridge, but neither of us dared to cross it anymore. This meeting wasn't a surprise.

Our eyes met and immediately rejected each other. I returned focus to my water as if to erase the sighting.

Only I noticed the offensive noise the chair opposite mine made when its legs weren't allowed to pick their feet up from the floor to move.

"Oh, hey," The overly polite waitress came back before my displeasure was able to linger.

"Jack and Coke, please." She'll have it right out.

There was a smile, awkward, unmoving.

"Let's cut the bullshit." Words spewed onto the table.

"I think we need to see other people. Or… at least not each other.

We don't make each other happy.

We're always apart anyway. It would just be easier if we didn't have to worry what the other is doing.

I want to receive random indecent text messages in the middle of my morning workout.

I want to go at a moment's notice to where ever 'there' is.

I need someone who understands my job, supports me, and wants to be a part of my world.

I don't want to feel obligated to have sex with you.

Sometimes I want to lie naked in the dark trying  to clear my mind and count the revolutions of the ceiling fan -- without you touching me.

I want the kind of peace that comes when you're not on my mind, when I don't feel accountable to you.

I don't want to feel so broken when I'm supposed to be one with you."

A hand on a hand. A tear on a cheek. The room was spinning. My ice had stopped.

It's hard to see through dingy rose-colored glasses. I couldn't quite put my finger on the feeling that came with taking them off. Pain? Relief? Sadness?

Suddenly suffocating, I stood up and took a breath from air that seemed untainted by the muck of words on the table.

I looked down at the unrecognizable face that remained at the table. I hoped my eyes apologized for my rudeness as I turned around and left.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...