Skip to main content

"Best" of 2011

Generally speaking, I don't think it's fair to impose one's superlatives on another. My "Best of..." or "Most..." lists are usually humorous, personal, or not ranked. Music is subjective so it's even harder to give an honest assessment about something everybody loves, especially when your opinion is negative. This becomes even more difficult when you appreciate everyone's hustle. Honest to goodness, I do not listen to Soulja Boy, but I believe there's a place in music for him. *shrug* Sue me.

So... Now that my little disclaimer is out of the way, let's talk about House of Balloons. This is The Weeknd's debut EP and it generated a huge buzz when it was released this March. I resist buzz, but I try to give everything a chance. Good stuff grabs me immediately. If I can rock to it sitting down, I love it. If not, I take it to the car. If I can ride to it, I love it. If I still need to convince myself, I'll listen to it while I'm doing my hair. That solitude helps me hear what I'm listening to. If that doesn't work, I probably won't pick it up again. And that's what happened with House of Balloons.


It is creative. Some of the production is nice. But it's boring. Even my favorite song on the EP is boring. It's what I'd expect to be playing in the background when I'm shopping at a hoity toity boutique. And after a couple songs, I'm done with the drug-induced sex vibe. I'm also not so in love with his voice. Hey... you win some, you lose some...

But I've been seeing people call this project the best of 2011. Along with some other comparisons, that scares me. Aside from my own reluctance to call something "the best," there are better projects out right now. Which leads me to the point of my post (which isn't to bash The Weeknd, despite what it seems)... Here are some things I think you should listen to. You don't have to have to like them, agree with me, admit they're better, none of that... Just listen.

For people comparing him to Drake... Ok. But if you want something closer to the honesty and vibe of So Far Gone, get sailing soul(s) from Jhene Aiko. And if the name sounds familiar, it should. She toured with B2K back in the early 2000s. (Don't front... You were a fan...)

Frank Ocean's Nostalgia/Ultra also got a lot of internet buzz. This is as creative as House of Balloons, but the songs are written well. Even his own drug/sex ode "novacane." Don't let the Odd Future connection throw you off. He's not eating roaches or chasing midgets on a SXSW stage.

If you know me, you know I love J*DaVeY, and their Great Mistapes are extra creative and very sexy. I think Boudoir Synema came out late 09, but Evil Christian Cop was released earlier this year (I'm almost certain).

KING's The Story and Childish Gambino's EP are only 3 and 5 songs respectively, but I'd rather play them on repeat than House of Balloons.

Enjoy. =]

[p.s. The links aren't necessarily links to the projects named... but if you can't navigate those websites, what're you doing here?]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...