Skip to main content

Sign of the Times?

We all know that movies don’t change that much. There are no real genres anymore since most movies these days have elements from many genres. In any event, the stories are all pretty much the same. That said , I saw Takers with my younger brother. Without giving too much away, the plot of Takers is basically the same as any other heist movie. There are some differences, mostly just elements of style, but major themes, character arcs, and outcomes are, of course, very familiar...


So… clearly half of the major players die in the end. I know this from being an avid movie watcher since my first (that I can remember) trip to the movies to see Boys N the Hood. I also know that there won't (shouldn’t) be a sequel. However, this concept is foreign to my brother. At the end he looked confused "Everybody dies? Naw, somebody lives and there could be a part two!" Uuuum… what?


I can only take this as a sign of the times. My brother's generation did not grow up watching the kind of movies we did. Over the last 10 years it seems like every movie's major twist is that someone lives and there is a sequel. Even movies that are complete stories within themselves have sequels (i.e. The Hangover). Gone are the days of telling the story at hand. Now… they tell the story and if is makes a lot of money they tell it again…and again in different locations and dimensions (i.e. Fast and Furious, Final Destination).


In a discussion about Inception, NPR noted that most of the major movies this summer were sequels or remakes. That's a pretty big statement when you consider everything that came out. That my brother seems to expect a sequel is a startling (though certainly not new) sign that movies are all about the money. They're mundane, not in a fun, "I-know-the-formula" way, but in a cynical "it'll-make-a-billion-dollars-without-me-and-i-know-the-ending-so-why-see-it" kind of way.


Further, that my kid brother doesn't recognize plot cues is indicative of an overall dulling of… everything. Dad kept saying "He's 12," as if that means he's not supposed to know archetypical plot lines. But when I was 12, I was quoting Scarface. I knew that little brothers and creative types die first. I knew that the character with the least to lose is the bad guy. The guy who thinks the plot is a bad idea will be wounded or killed. That "one last job" never goes as planned. By 12, I was already Randy Meeks.


I'd like to think that I'm just a nerd, but all my friends have the same relationship and knowledge of movies, even if it doesn't match my intensity. You could say that I just have nerdy friends. Eh, I do… but my generation happens to pop culture. We participate while my brothers' generation seems to be full of spectators. And that's so wack.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...