Skip to main content

Camp Nicole

About two weeks or so ago (when Metro Public Schools ended classes for the summer) I had a conversation with my 14-year old brother, who had just finished his first year of high school.


"So how did you do on your exams?" I asked.

"Fine. I got all Bs. Well, I got a 63 on one exam, but I got an 83 in the class, so it's ok." He replied.

"So… You failed?"

"Naw. I passed."

"Hmmm… What are you going to do all summer?"

"Nothing. I'm just gonna hang out with my friends. Go to the movies. Relax."

(Images of LaTarrian Milton bombarded my brain.) "Nothing? All summer?"

"Yeah. I've been working hard for 9 months. I deserve to do nothing."


And there I was. Staring at myself. All my rationalized laziness, unusually-poor work ethic, and bad grades from the Spring 2010 semester were in my brother and flipping me off. I decided I would do something to help him so that I could help myself. And Camp Nicole was born.


For 7 weeks this summer, I'm home schooling both of my brothers. I have a few goals and a curriculum I designed especially for them…


Writing

From what I can tell, my brothers have not learned anything about writing in school. They barely know anything about English grammar and neither one of them communicates effectively in writing. There are only a few careers they can choose that won't require effective written communication. To help them, I have them doing worksheets on sentences, grammar, and usage. Also, they will be writing five-paragraph essays all summer to help them learn to plan, organize, and present their ideas on paper.


Reading

They seems to have a problem comprehending what they read if they don't want to read it. Basically, I have them reading some short stories I had to read for a few classes this past year and answering questions about them. Right now I'm not too sure how successful that will be so I'm working on developing projects for their summer reading books.


Math

This summer, I'll be teaching them the very basics of the math they'll be taking when they go back to school. Jeremy is still in middle school so he'll most likely be doing a mixed math with some topics in algebra. Daryl is going into geometry. They're most receptive to my math lessons because they haven't done it yet. Also, it's the one thing I do with them one on one so they are more comfortable and they don’t get distracted.


Research

I'm veeery excited about my "Big Black Map of Nashville" project. I made a list of landmarks, streets, and institutions in Nashville that are named for black people (except Rosa Parks), and my brothers are going to research these people. At the end, we'll put all of our landmarks on a map and visit them. They only use the internet for games and Facebook, and when they struggle through research for school. Further, they know very little about the accomplishments of black people outside of the "Black History Month Canon." My "Big Black Map of Nashville" will successfully hit both of those targets and give them something to look at in the future.


Field Trips

My brothers don't sit still very long without incentives. I have a great list of creative, informative, and fun field trips for them. I'd list them all, but I don't wanna make y'all jealous… =]


Of course, since we're at home, they clean the house, too… We just finished our first week and I like the way it's going. They are cooperative and receptive for the most part. The best part for me is that they'll appreciate me later. I mean… I know they love me. But one day (or…maybe quite a few days) this year they'll be doing some work in class and they'll think, "My sister already taught me this." They don't have to tell me, but it'll be awesome nonetheless.


The small satisfaction I feel from knowing that in the future they'll be alright has renewed my own academic desire. Spring 2010 was a horrible semester for me. I didn't care about school at all. There was seriously a period of time I was sure I was done, degree or no degree. I told myself I couldn’t drop out because of my parents and grandparents. Then Dr. Morgan-Curtis reminded me that I couldn't have the impact I want to have if I don't have credentials. Now I know I can't stop because my brothers need to see me finish.


I'll keep you all updated on Camp Nicole. I may post some of their sure-to-be-awesome work. And of course I'll be posting about our "Big Black Map of Nashville." (Did I tell y'all I'm excited about that??) =]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...