Skip to main content

President Obama and his Nobel Peace Prize

I woke up this morning to the news that President Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. I love Barack Obama. I voted for Barack Obama. I know what his presidency means for the future. Do I think he deserves a Nobel Peace Prize? NO. Am I going to really gripe about it? Eh... idk. What I will say is this... Obama was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize 12 days after he took office. Maybe I'm not reading something, but I don't really see him doing anything Nobel Peace Prize-worthy. Our country is involved in wars that he's not actively trying to get us out of. Not to say he won't but he hasn't. Not to say he'll never deserve a Nobel Peace Prize, but he doesn't. I'll always be proud of him and his accomplishments. This is an extraordinary award. But I think they jumped the gun. Can they let him prove himself before they go throwing shit at him because it sounds good? It's starting to look like we think that we're entitled to special favors because the president is black. We felt "robbed" of the Olympics in 2016. We shot the moon. Our president won the Nobel Peace Prize for... um. well... whatever.

This is making my head spin. Potential implications of him winning this award make me want to throw up. I can't even articulate all my feelings properly right now.

Comments

  1. Nicki-cole I must admit at first thought I was surprised by the win. I didn't even know President Obama had been nominated. But at the same time when you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, this isn't some NAACP Image Award (not that there's anything wrong with NAACP awards) but this is a Nobel Prize, it takes place on the world stage, and if you consider the fact that African-American were consider either second class citizens or not even citizens at all longer then they were able to vote the fact that one has went to the undisputed leader of the country without the aid of a military coup or some other type of bloody revolution, then in actuality by all historical standards Obama just pulled off the impossible. Aside from that I think Obama winning the Nobel Prize is more of a way of the world saying to America that we're welcome to sit back at the "popular kids table" in the global lunchroom, considering for the past 8 years we've been seen as total dicks due to our former choice for President, the prize is more for the country as a whole for making what the rest of the world feels was finally a good decision.More than anything the Nobel Peace Prize is a pat on the back from the global community saying congratulations US you didn't f*** this one up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...