Skip to main content

Home is where the heart is...

I have the flu. I can't sleep. I'm alone. And all that made me think about a lot of different things. My brain settled on the concept of "home." I don't feel at home anywhere. Nowhere.

I moved out of my mom's house a while ago and since I don't feel like I could ever go back and live there, I can't really call it home. If I fell on hard times my mom may let me move in but it would be a problem. Her house is not my home.

I gave up my apartment to move in with the man I might marry. But I didn't feel at home there either. I hated that apartment. A lot of that had to do with my car being broken into two weeks after I moved in. It was far away from everything. Like... Complete opposite direction from everywhere I wanted to be. I wasn't proud enough to have visitors. And before James entered the picture I spent most of my time away from there.


Now I live in James' house. HIS house. Aside from the fact that a nuisance of a grown as man also occupies this space, I don't feel at home because it's not mine. That might sound crazy, I know. I'm constantly reminded in some way that this isn't my house. That the pots I cook with aren't mine. The towels I bathe with I didn't get to pick out. The major decisions are not mine to make. Any time I get comfortable Adam makes some noise or the house is full of niggas that I didn't invite and can't kick out and I'm reminded that this isn't mine. I better mind my p's and q's.

Growing up I didn't think about the Bay Area being home. It just was. When I went back at 18 thinking I was returning home, I was sadly mistaken. Despite all the family I have out there I felt terribly alone. My dad has a family that I'm not really a part of so his house wasn't my home. While I was there my aunt disowned me. My uncle kicked me out. I had 10 roommates in 2 years. And while Shirley and Tia were the ONLY people who allowed me to believe I was loved their house couldn't be my home. There simply wasn't room for me.

I was watching the Black List: V1 listening to Kareem Abdul-Jabar talk about New York being home and feeling like a protective cradle. I don't have that. There is nowhere I feel safe. And safe in that I can't be uprooted because it's home (I feel safe from harm just about everywhere because I believe that certain things - like harm done to me - are in the hands of a greater power. That's a story for another day.) there's no place I can call my own and mean it, and I don't think there will ever be such a place.

This has me wondering about my future children. I know that I feel this as a result of a lot of experiences in my life. A lot of those experiences go back to my childhood. How can I figure out what they were to keep my kids from ending up the same way? In this moment I'm wondering if I even completely like the person I am. Would I want my kids to be like me? Honestly, no. Will raising them in a different environment than I had be enough? Will I be able to spare them the many disapointments I've seen? Will I be able to make a good home for then despite being out of touch with my own? Perhaps most important right now, will Adam ever move the hell out? =] goodnight.

Comments

  1. I am sorry that you feel this way. I am sure it is quite disturbing and uncomfortable. One day you will feel like you are at home. Sometimes it just takes people longer to get to that level than others.

    However, now you have me thinking about what it really means to be "at home." Hmm.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...