Skip to main content

forgiveness and the problem with music

so... i have some theories on some stuff... today i had to ponder the statute of limitations on asshole-ness (i.e. how long is too long to hold a grudge against and asshole? and how long does it take for the asshole-ness to go away?). also... i have this theory that EVERYTHING that's wrong with music these days can be traced to puff daddy and the hot boys. right now i'm reading "hip hop matters" to see what s. craig watkins thinks.

a little backstory for you: when i was 16 i started working at the movies and got a crush on this dude who worked there too... greg was a jerk but for some reason i liked that. time went on and i went all the way to california for college and we embarked on this ridiculous long distance relationship and he went from simple jerk to flat out asshole. long story short, he did some emotional damage. and then i realized, "i'm nicole." and i decided to cut him out completely.

he has spent the last year or so trying to get me to be his friend. i'm still trying to decide what the fuck he wants. i'm not convinced that he has changed. yet and still, i wonder how long i can hold a grudge against him. i know i will never need him for anything as far as netwroking and business is concerned. i know that he'll never be close enough to hurt me again. i feel like i have already forgiven him. but logically that doesn't make any sense if i still continue to tell him to stop calling me. it is rather annoying though. and pathetic. plus wouldn't it be easier to say "sure let's be friends" and then just blow him off all the time? we'll see what happens...

anywho. music. i have a problem with it. i mean... i love it. i really do. but i have a problem with it. r&b and rap more specifically. everything that's wrong with music is puff daddy's fault. he discovered this formula that took away all the thought necessary to make actual music and at the same time ensured that people who record songs according to this formula will be rich. in the post biggie and tupac rap world, you don't need to say anything to have a hit. you can have shit like soulja boy [yaahhh!] and mims [this is why i'm hot] and hell, fergie and t-pain for that matter. and then you have artists like dead prez who have basically disappeared and get absolutely no radio play. you've got common having to wait his whole career for a hit record and one can say that was only because of production.

when did everything become less cerebral and more money and bitches? hmmmm... i'd day the "bling bling" song and video sealed the deal. and for that reason alone i fault the hot boys for the downfall of hip hop. i actually liked the hot boys though... i still do. but that one song made and makes me roll my eyes. all you need it a hot producer some rented yachts some fake money and some half naked hoes [as opposed to the "nappy headed" variety] and you've got it made.
sigh... i'll stop complaining. i guess i should be doing some work right now anyway...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory

OK… So… A lot of this is repetitive (and that's actually important…) so I'm not going to go over everything about all these folks. You can read the bulk of it at the source sites. There are quite a few sites out there that say that Beyonce and others are possessed by the devil. It's actually a really interesting way to waste some time if you have it. But maybe that's just me since… I love a good conspiracy theory. I'm not here to debunk all this stuff. I just think some of it is simply wrong. Or… aimed at the wrong person. Or… conclusions based on shit that can't be considered evidence. Let's look, shall we... Alright... vigilantcitizen.com starts their analysis of Beyonce by saying Along with her new album, Beyonce has presented her fans to a new alter-ego named Sasha Fierce. The singer affirms that this new persona is the fun, more sexual and more aggressive side of her. This is however the “general public” version of the story. The esoteric meaning r...

Facebook Stalking...

Officially, I'm hibernating right now. I don't really want to connect on Facebook or Twitter right now. However… from time to time, I'm bored and reading that stuff is still mildly amusing… A couple things I noticed while tip toeing around Facebook: A lot of these "friendships" are super manufactured past the point of being fake. They simply don't exist. There are people I'm friends with on Facebook that I don’t want to be bothered with in life. Am I afraid to delete them? Perhaps… Well… I deleted a bunch of them just a moment ago. (Part of my hibernation is purging…) But… why even bother to begin with? Having said that… I discovered that I'm NOT friends with some people I should be. I'm missing out on some connections. A while ago, I deleted EVERYONE while in an angry "fuck friendship" mood. I'm STILL re-adding and re-discovering people from that episode… If it makes you feel...

T.I. Released from Prison... Early

Niggas are going to hate me for sure for this post… (If they don't already…) I don't care… This is unbelievable. Well… stranger things have happened. But… T.I. was released from prison after spending 7 months there on gun charges. I like T.I.'s music and ATL was a good movie and I definitely plan to see Takers . Nothing against him personally. I don't think he's a bad person. HOWEVER. Dude is a 7-time felon who violated his probation by purchasing assault weapons and silencers. He spent SEVEN frickin months in jail. For that . OK. He didn't use the guns. Ok. He thought his life was in danger. Ok. He's turning his life around. All that is awesome for T.I. But what about the frickin justice system? Are we REALLY saying it's ok for a 7-time felon to get away with illegal shit just because he's a good rapper? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison for getting rich off of scamming rich people but T.I. got 7 months for buying life-threatening weapons...